Sunday, November 23, 2008

Updated To Do List

I've been feeling rather overwhelmed with all that I have to do in the coming weeks and seeing things crossed off my To Do list helps boost my morale immensely. I've already given myself a "Get out of jail free" card for my usual holiday doings, which makes me a little sad because I really enjoy the holidays and all the preparations and baking and cooking I usually do. But this year, between trying to finish the interior of our house and get it ready to move into, along with packing and actually moving, buying furniture, school transitions, Christmas shopping & wrapping, work, etc. I just have too much to do to indulge my Martha Stewart complex and make my English Toffee, homemade caramels and other Christmas goodies. I will however, still be attempting to write my annual holiday newsletter and send out my 60+ Christmas cards. Although they may actually be New Years' cards instead.

The state of my house has gone drastically downhill which further adds to my sense of being overwhelmed. I can't think clearly when the laundry is threatening to avalanche, or I can't walk across the kitchen floor barefoot for fear of my skin sticking to it and being ripped off, or my bathroom sink and/or toilet start to have vegetation growing out of it. All of these things just make me feel even more out of control. And while Hubby has given me permission to "slack off" for a while, it's just not that easy. I can't turn off my brain and my need sense of order (boy, don't I wish!). It's all just drives me deeper into crazy so instead I end up working myself into a lather, both from the rapid speed at which I fly around trying to DO! IT! ALL! and the frustration that I'm getting no help even though I've voiced my frustration and need for help. Hello? Is this thing on??

~ Make dentist appointment for kids for January.
~ Probably should make a dentist for myself and hubby too.
~ Call Sam's new school to get him on their roster & to try to meet his teacher and get a tour.
~ Order carpet for house; remember to change color choice! I tried to do this the other day and the gal I needed to talk to wasn't there.
~ Return library books.
~ Finish painting the stripe in Sam's room. I did part of this over the weekend, but still need to finish it up.
~ Paint master bathroom.
~ Paint master bedroom.
~ Order or buy Zoe some long sleeved shirts/sweaters.
~ Make vet appointment for Chewie.
~ Mail hair to Locks of Love
~ Mail book for Paperbackswap
~ Get flu shot
~ Clean out kids' closets/dressers for outgrown stuff.
~ Take kids' clothes to consignment store.
~ Balance checkbook & pay bills.
~ Figure out Thanksgiving plans and what I need to cook/bake. Rolls, deviled eggs, cornbread stuffing, cranberry sauce and a dessert. I may even cheat and buy rolls!

My father-in-law gave me a wise piece of advice though. He said the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. Sage advice, but damn I'm gettin' full.

4 comments:

Mama Smurf said...

I feel so much better after making to-do lists. Seeing the items getting crossed off makes me feel a little less out of control.

You're like a super woman! Quilts, baking, packing, moving, painting, bunko, work....sheeeshh!

I bow to the master...

Show me the way....

=)

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Looks like you've made a good dent on your list! Hang in there, baby - your father in law had some good advice. Baby steps...

I've tagged you for a seven things meme!

Brooke said...

You can do it! Hang in there, by next year, things will look much different...you will be in your house...I just know it!

Suzie said...

Me too me too. Its all overwelming to say the least