Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tidbits

There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth in our house right now. Zoë, an avid lover of her "poke" (aka pacifier) has been parted from it. I couldn't find it yesterday before going to work, and Hubby couldn't find it last night so put her to bed without it for the first time EVER. Today, she randomly starts crying "I want my poke. I need my pokey! I need you to find it Mama!" She's 3 years old now and it's time for it to go bye-bye. But she's way more attached to it than Sam was and is so pathetically sad to not have it.

psst...I have a secret. I actually found one of her pokes on the floor in Sam's room this morning. And promptly hid it in my underwear drawer. But I'm still telling her it's lost. Mean? Maybe a little, but it's time. She's still got her other "loveys" (aka comfort items) so she's not lost everything that's near and dear to her heart.

*************************

In other exciting news, I have an eye infection. My right eye has been kind of gummy and gooey the last couple morning, but I just chalked it up to a good night's sleep (ha!) or allergies. But yesterday my eye actually hurt so I called my mom, who is the office manager of an eye dr's clinic, and she said "You doofus. You probably have an eye infection." So she got me in to see one of the doctors who shone (shined?) a bright light in my eyes, oogled my irises from up close, flipped my eyelid inside out and declared "You have an eye infection. In both eyes." So I got some antibiotic eyedrops and have been banned from wearing my contacts for a week. SEVEN WHOLE DAYS of four-eyesedness. I HATE wearing glasses, which is why I got contacts at the age of 13. I'm not happy about this, even though I do look kinda cute in my glasses. I just hate having something on my face and having my vision limited and only in focus directly in front of me. It's icky.

************************

The best news of the day, however, is that my parents' break ground for their house today!! My mom has been extremely hesitant about building this house, even though it truly is in her best interest (and the only way she'll ever be able to retire), but my dad is forging ahead. And he thinks that, barring any extreme weather and delays, they could have it done by April. They're not going to be doing any of the work themselves and are checking into have their walls pre-made so that the carpenter just has to stand them up and nail them together. That'd save a bunch of time for sure. Anyway, I am thrilled beyond words that all of us living out there together, on our very own little compound, is going to be a reality. As much of a blessing as it is to have our house almost complete, I would always feel like something was missing if we were out there alone. It's always been our dream (mine & my dad's) to live out there, near each other, sharing a garden and fruit trees, the joys and rewards of our labors. We've got all kinds of plans and dreams cooked up and it looks like we'll finally be able to start making those happen.

2 comments:

Rhi said...

Fluid Pudding did a pretty cute thing, a while back, with her daughter's pacifiers - a fairy came and took them away and gave them to new babies. And, then the pacifier fairy brought her daugther a big girl gift in return.

Mama Smurf said...

Yeay for dreams that come true!

Including "poke" free children and infection free eyes. LOL.