Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Delivery

Guess what arrived today??


CABINETS!



The pictures don't do the kitchen ones justice - they're GORGEOUS. I'm so excited. The cabinets you see there in the middle of the room? Ya, that's my enormous island. That sucker is EIGHT FEET LONG, which I knew it would be, but to see it and not just refer to "my 8-foot island"...wow. It's gonna be big. No wonder the piece of rock I want to put on top of it is so danged expensive! One small snafu is that the cabinet that holds my double ovens is drastically too small. The opening is about 5.5" too short vertically and needs to be about 5" wider, too. Josh confirmed that he sent the right information to the cabinet guy so it's their mistake. Which hopefully will be rectified SOON and at no cost.

Edited to add: My "editor" informed me that the oven opening is 15 inches too small, not five. Thanks honey!

In painting news, I still have a ways to go but am hoping to tackle it again tomorrow for several hours. The great news is that my attempt at cleaning up the stripe in Sam's room was successful! When I'd originally painted, the orange and the blue bled underneath the tape so when I peeled it off, the white wasn't a crisply defined stripe, but had fuzzy edges. After a tip from a painter, I outlined the white stripe with tape, smeared caulking over the edges, then painted the white. The caulking sealed the tape to the wall so that the paint wouldn't bleed down under the tape. Here's how it turned out:

A little bit of extra work, but well worth it. It looks pretty sharp. I only did one wall to test my technique, so now I need to do the rest of the room.

It's really starting to come together, although there are still a ton of things to do. We should be moving in before Christmas although I sometimes wonder how that would be possible with all that's left to do.


3 comments:

Mr Lady said...

If there is anything better than brand new cabinets, well, I've never heard of it. WOO HOO!

Mama Smurf said...

Love, Love, LOVE the kitchen cabinets!

Chelle said...

YAY for cabinets! And I like the lines for Sam's walls. You can paint the new rooms in my house next year!!