Monday, November 10, 2008

Sharing the Love

One of my favorite bloggers posted a little tidbit the other day about a project called Operation Christmas Child. It's a project designed to give underpriveleged kids a surprise at Christmas. You can read about it more here. Basically, you pack a shoe-box full of goodies, include $7 to cover shipping costs, then drop it off at a designated location. Cool, huh?

I've been talking with my kids alot about how blessed we already are, how we truly don't need a bunch of new toys (aka every single thing they see) even if we do want them; how there are so many kids in our own country that won't wake up on Christmas morning with presents under the tree and how we can help make their Christmas a happy one.

I remember as a kid my church youth group distributed boxes of food to needy families at Thanksgiving one year. I must have been about 9 or 10 years old but I very clearly remember the surprise and sheer joy on the family's faces when we knocked on their door with a box of food. It was such an amazing feeling to bring such happiness, and make such a difference, to a family with such a simple act as sharing food. I want my kids to have that same memory, even though we will never see the faces of the ones receiving our gifts. It doesn't matter. It still will feel good.

Boxes need to be dropped off November 17-24th so this week my kids and I will be putting together at least one box to donate. Money isn't so tight that we can't brighten a little one's Christmas morning. And it never will be.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Thats a cool idea. The kids are doing it through our church so I have to get my box ready too!! thanks for the reminder!

Cassie said...

I think that it is a great idea. I do wish that the boxes were going to stay in the states and not be shipped to other countries. Because of the current economic state there will be lots of children in our county/state/country that will do with out. Children of hard working parents who because they live paycheck to paycheck won't have a Christmas.