Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Long & Short of It

I did something today on a whim. Although I've been contemplating and planning on doing it for quite awhile, the action I finally took today was completely spur-of-the-moment. I was bored. And things didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. The way I envisioned when I was imagining even doing it.

Right now I am alternately very sad and slightly mad.

I realize that, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. It could be worse. What I did was for the right reasons and for a great cause. But right now I'm not happy I did it. I'm regretting it, even though it was a selfless thing I chose to do. Part of me is happy because I know others will benefit, but right now I'm feeling regret.

It's silly I know, and probably largely wrapped up in vanity. But it's how I feel right now.

I don't expect the feeling will last, thankfully.

What is this awful thing I've done, you ask?







I cut off my hair today.

See? I told you it wasn't some earth-shattering act. But I don't like the results. It's way shorter than I wanted....WAY. My only consolation is that it will grow again.

I have two very lovely, long ponytails that I will be sending off to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program. In partnership with the American Cancer Society, they make and distribute free wigs to women dealing with cancer and its effects. The sadness I feel right now at having cut off so much hair is nothing compared to how it must feel to lose all your hair, let alone deal with cancer. I know this. I know I sound silly and petty and selfish.

I'll get over it. Just give me a minute.

5 comments:

Rhi said...

I! Want! To! See! IT!

Brooke said...

Whoo hooo! Good for you! I am sure it is very cute....and I always say the same thing when I cut my hair. It will grow back, what you did for someone else is SOOO worth a crappy haircut! But again, I am sure it is very cute! Now show a picture!

Chelle said...

Take prenatals to make it grow faster! HAHA
I can't wait to see pics once you've adjusted to the new you!

Cassie said...

Haircuts are tough you either instantly love it or instantly regret it. I think it's great that you are donting your shorn hair to such a great cause. I hope that you post a pic of the new do soon. I am sure it is fabulous !!!

Mama Smurf said...

Now I'm dieing to see it.

Show us.

I'm sorry you're disappointed but it will grow back.