Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Day with Dad

In my post the other day, I mentioned that a possible delayed Opening Day Celebration with my dad would be taking place soon. Well, that celebration will be occurring tomorrow.

After chatting and perusing the baseball schedule, we found that Friday's game between the Seattle Mariners and the Baltimore Orioles is scheduled for 4:05pm. Perfect! In making plans with my dad, he mentioned that he had found some nice beef ribs at the local grocery store and would be bringing those out. You see, we have been dreaming of summer for many long, cold months and in our dreaming of summer we dream of barbecuing. We have perfected our marinating and barbecuing of steaks over the last few years, and now we are moving on to other slabs of animal flesh. Dad dreams of succulent, fall-off-the-bone-tender beef ribs, while I aim to conquer the cooking of brisket. So far, we've attempted both with fairly successful results.

In our first attempt at ribs, we tried two different rubs and two different sauces. The weather was completely uncooperative so we cooked them two different ways: in the crockpot, and in a cast iron Dutch oven in the oven. The ribs themselves weren't very meaty, and we found a few things we'd like to change in the rubs. My first batch of brisket actually was very tasty and quite tender. I tried a different rub, which I really liked, and a BBQ sauce that was perfect. So ribs are on the menu for tomorrow. They will have my rub massaged into them tonight, and then we'll probably use my BBQ sauce too after slow cooking them all afternoon. The rest of the menu is yet to be determined.

Work is a bit slow for my dad right now and he isn't one to just sit around and do nothing, so he is looking forward to tomorrow and spending the day with me. We are much the same in that aspect. Both of us like to be busy and we actually just had a discussion yesterday about how anybody could ever be bored. There's just so much to do and learn and try and explore in our world, that we are just bewildered at how anyone would ever be bored. Anyway....tangent. (That's just how my mind works. Try to stay with me.)

So my dad called me this afternoon to make sure we were still on for tomorrow and that I was going to bring my rub for his ribs by. Yes, I'll be doing that after I pick up Sam-o from school. Then he asked me if I had any vodka. Yes, yes I have a bit of Smirnoff. Then my fabulous father, who knows me SO well, informed me that he had bought a bottle of Grey Goose for me. My little heart started to pitter-patter at the mere thought. It's been awhile since the Goose has come to visit and I always enjoy his visits so much. Sometimes too much in one night. I have a feeling tomorrow will be one of those nights.

That's what happens when my dad and I get together. No, we don't always get drunk, we just really enjoy each other's company. We always have. We let loose and enjoy life together, rules be damned. (See blog title and tag line.) I am the youngest of three girls, my sisters being 7 and 9 years older than me. I was, and mostly still am, a tomboy. When I was little and we went school clothes shopping in the big city 2 hours away, my mom would be busy with my sisters and my dad would take me to the video arcade and feed me quarters until I asked for ice cream (things my mom would never allow). At the age of 9, my dad taught me how to shoot his .22 rifle and spent lots of time teaching me how to hit the bullseye. In high school, my dad came to my softball games in high school and worked with me on my pitching. Over the years, we've done lots together: fishing, brewing beer, driving cross-country twice, going to the rifle range, watching baseball...the memories are too numerous to count. We've totally bonded and whether we just happen to have many of the same interests, or I like the same things he does simply because he's my dad and I love him, I don't know. It doesn't matter. We just love each other and take every opportunity to spend time together and spoil each other.

So I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow of the festivities, but no guarantees. Because, after all, Mr. Goose will be here and we'll be busy barbecuing ribs and celebrating the return of baseball. Yep, it's gonna be a damn good day.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sounds like a damn good day! I'm so happy you get to have such a great relationship with him...