Monday, September 1, 2008

Too Soon

So, tomorrow's The Big Day. The day that my Sam starts 1st grade. And I gotta be honest. I'm having a much harder time this year than I did last year, when he was starting kindergarten. While kindergarten was a big step and our first real foray into the world of education, 1st grade seems so much more grown up. I mean, it's like REAL school, not just a couple hours of coloring and listening to stories. (Granted, they did much more than that last year...) He'll be gone ALL. DAY. and will have this whole day full of stuff I don't know anything about. And while I plan on volunteering in his classroom daily as much as possible, it'll still be his own little world. One that I'm not really a part of. Even just typing that brings tears to my eyes. I'm such a dork.

But I can't help it. Sam-o is my first born, my only boy, my best boy and the embodiment of so many of my dreams. And to have him go off, out into the big world, at the tender age of barely six, is just awfully hard. It's just seems so SOON. I'm not ready for this.

Excuse me while I go find some Kleenex.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate
Hang in there tomorrow. Payton is gone all day in kindergarten this year, and I tell her to remember everything becasue I want to hear about when she gets home. She acts annoyed, but I tell her I just can not remember that long ago and want to know all about school!! It is scary knowing they are becoming so independent.
Honor
Honor

Heather said...

my mom put it in my yearbook, and it still chokes me up: "Growing up, and growing away". Just know this is our job, to make responsible, happy citizens of the world, and you're doing so by letting him try out some of the skills that YOU have instilled in him.
I don't blame you for blubbering though! Don't think I'm not going to!

Brooke said...

Yes it seems they grow so fast and off they go! Dont be sad though, just means we can go to the Bagelry with only 2 kids instead of 6!!!