So it's done. The boy is off to school. The morning went smoothly; I got his lunch and snack packed, got everyone dressed, got to school and situated him in his new classroom. As expected, he didn't bat an eyelash at my departure. I was doing fine and feeling at peace with this new phase of life. That is, until I looked at the packet of information the teacher had handed me. I was barely out the classroom door when I read this:The First Day!
I gave you a little wink and smile
as you entered our room today
For I know how hard it is to leave
and know your child must stay.
You've been with him for five years now
and have been a loving guide,
but now, alas, the time has come
to leave him at my side.
Just know that as you drive away
and tears down your cheeks may flow
I'll love him as I would my own
and help him learn to grow.
So please put your mind at ease
and cry those tears no more
for I will love him and take him in
when you leave him at my door.
Your child's First Grade Teacher
Mrs. C.

I stumbled out to the parking lot, eyes blurry with tears, head down to hide my emotion from the other parents who were chatting happily by their cars. I am at a loss to explain why I feel so sad and am being affected so profoundly by this, but I have to believe I'm not the only mommy who ever lamented her baby going off to school. I have to trust that this is the beginning of some really wonderful years. But right now it just feels like the end of some others.
5 comments:
What a sweet poem :) I hope he has a fantastic first day. And, I hope there is a giant glass of wine in your future :)
The teacher must have been reading your mind. What a nice poem.
I was the same way with my first born...and maybe even a little with my second. But this time around? NOPE! Doin the jig over here as I ship my last born off to all day kindergarten!
Party's at my house!!!!
Ok, the poem broke my heart, just as the one B's preschool teacher gave me at his graduation.
I'm looking forward to the future, but I hate the reminders of how fast the future arrives.
Aw...I'd be cryin' right along with ya! Congrats to him (and you!) on surviving the first day!
Post a Comment