Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Remember

Seven years ago, we awoke to the clock radio giving us the news. I was further awoken from my semi-conscious state by Josh's announcement that "A plane just crashed into the World Trade Center". He flipped on the TV and thru sleepy eyes we watched our world change. We thought we were seeing footage of the plane crashing when in reality it was the second plane hitting. We watched terrified as people ran frantic thru the streets. The looks of horror and pure terror on their faces will be forever etched in my memory.

I remember saying "Whoever's doing this isn't done."

I remember hearing Jim Miklaszewski reporting from the Pentagon when the third plane hit there and how his voice changed mid-report from informative and fluent to uncertain and unnerved.

I remember hearing of the fourth plane crashing in Pennsylvania, and wondering "How many more??"

I remember wondering aloud "How are those Towers still standing??" and Josh reassuring me that they were built to withstand anything.

I remember watching the Towers fall. And starting to cry.

I remember crying alot in the days and weeks that followed.

I remember the desperation, the fear, the panic and the overwhelming grief so acutely that even now I cry.

I remember all those that were lost on this day seven years ago and I pray that their families and loved ones can remember them with love and a sense of peace.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I remember too.

and it's painful. I still remember being glued to the TV, gasping in horror and my heart breaking for the thousands of people I didn't know and fearing for those who I did know.

Mama Smurf said...

That morning I had decided to start painting one of our bedrooms. I was painting with no TV or radio on in complete silence. My friend and I were going to meet for lunch and she called at 11am to tell me she'd rather stay home in light of what was going on. I had no idea what she was talking about. I turned on the news and my husband called from work at the same time. I remember sitting there in stunned silence with the phone to my ear and saying over and over again..."OMG this is war....we will be in a huge war over this...this is war...this is war."

Chelle said...

I remember you were living closer and we spent a lot of time talking this out together. Remember how I had just started teaching at a school that didn't have cable or internet yet so I knew nothing so we talked during my 1st period and you kept me up to date? It still makes one stop and think.