Sunday, February 3, 2008

I have no more babies

Well, it's official. I no longer have any babies.

Friday night we moved Sam's twin bed into Zoe's room for her to use. I washed her pink kitty sheets and put them on, and moved her plethora of stuffed animals and blankets over to her Big Girl Bed. Gone is the crib. Gone is my baby girl. Suddenly, there is a tiny little toddler who inhabits the middle bedroom, which is often cluttered with baby dolls, plastic dishes and food, and dress-up princess outfits. She looks so tiny laying there in her Big Bed, but she has adjusted like a champ. The first night she did wander into our bedroom at some ungodly hour, but last night she stayed in her bed all night and we didn't hear a peep.

It has been an amazingly smooth transition out of the crib with Zoe. I remember going thru this with Sam and it was much more of a fight. We had to put the baby gate up to keep him in his room, then unscrew the lightbulbs in his lamp and overhead light because otherwise he'd turn them on and start playing. When we tired of fighting to keep him IN BED, we told him that he had to stay in his room and be quiet. Many a night he fell asleep on the floor in the doorway after discovering he couldn't get thru the gate or turn on any lights, but he eventually tired of that and would stay in his bed.

Sam also has a new bed, now that Sissy inhabits his twin. A kind co-worker gave us a like-new full size bed, which we've settled into Sam's room. He thinks it's the coolest thing, especially since there's room for Mommy or Daddy to lay with him now. The bed will last him until he physcially outgrows it, which at the rate he's going, may be sometime in middle school. But at least we've got a few years before that happens.

So both my kiddos are growing up, and technically no longer babies (which they don't hesitate to point out to me). Part of me mourns that fact because they were such sweet babies, but I'm so enamored with the little people they're becoming too. There's a small part of me that is quietly glad to have the baby stage over with too. It's exhausting and so consuming, but I'm proud and privileged to have been part of every single day (and night) of that time in their lives. There were times I thought I'd never survive or make it thru one more sleepless night, but my mommy mantra has proven true:

"The days are long, but the years are short."

1 comment:

Heather said...

I know exactly how you're feeling. It's so exciting and rewarding to watch our children grow, but that also means they are growing away too.
I have no desire to have more babies, but I long to hold onto my children just a little longer. The burden of motherhood, I suppose. I like your quote and this one: "A mother holds their child's hands but for a moment, their hearts forever". Or something like that, I'm no poet!