Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Good Day

Man, today was a good day! We awoke up to the promise of clear skies and sunshine, which is enough to make me jump for joy, especially in the middle of winter. With Josh working some extra hours this weekend, the kids and I were on our own. So, instead of addressing the piles of laundry mounting on my bedroom floor, we donned our shoes and sweatshirts, grabbed some snacks and my camera, and headed to the park.

There are a plethora of parks in this outdoorsy town, but I had a specific one in mind. We headed down to the park that sits between the marina and the bay. I wondered if it would be a bit breezy, as it usually is, but it was PERFECT. The sun sparkled on the water like a million diamonds, the air smelled faintly of saltwater and spring, and the bay was alive with boats.



It's days like today that remind me how much I love this town and why I tolerate (barely) the drab, dreary, dark winters here. Man, there just is no place better when the sun is shining. And summer never lasts long enough for me to get my fill.

It's hard to tell who enjoyed the park more - the kids or me. Instead of heading directly to the playground, we followed the walkway around the park which took us along the marina and then over to the bay. Sam was in heaven to be able to throw rocks into the water. Zoë toddled around, investigating this and that and I happily soaked up the sun and snapped pictures.







We encountered lots of friendly dogs, who stopped to greet us and allow us to give them some love, which thrilled Zoë, considering her recent puppy infatuation. We eventually meandered over to the playground for a bit before heading to the car for some snacks and the trip home.

Then as if the day wasn't already near perfect, one of my bestest friends, Michelle, stopped by for a visit. This is significant because she lives 100 miles away and hasn't been in my neck of the woods for a couple years. (I've been down her way lots of times, and it's only been about a month since I've seen her.) She had come to town to visit her cousin and set aside some time to come over. What a treat! We had a great chat, albeit too short, and in between having to break up fights between the kids, we managed to look at house plans, compare notes of books we've read lately, and various other topics. It's been awhile since we've had some one-on-one time and I was thrilled to have the chance. Let's do it again soon, 'k Chelle?

Days like today make me very happy to be alive.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

Although your beautiful town does have many wonderful sights, it also has stupid teen drivers who hit my truck. So, while the visit can happen again, I'm going to insist it happen in my neck of the woods!

I had a great time visiting.