Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Our House

Yesterday afternoon after running some errards, the suspense was killing me and I headed out to the house to get a peak at the paint job. All the way out there, I was nervous and second-guessing myself. Did I choose too bold of a color? Would it be too red? If it turned out to be an obnoxious shade, could I take the remaining paint back and have it retinted/darkened? I was so worried.

From the main road, I could only see the front of the house and it was still the same ol' boring beige. Hmmm. Maybe they hadn't gotten started painting afterall, I thought.

But then, I drove down the long driveway and as I came around the corner, I audibly gasped out loud. And I just sat and stared. (And took a picture obviously.)

Now, mind you, this was taken thru my dirty windshield. The trim isn't painted but the first coat of my beloved red is ON.THE.HOUSE.

I may or may not have spun the tires in my haste to get closer to my beautiful red house and I may or may not have bounded out of the car to get a closer look, leaving my daughter inside.

I will tell you that when I went around the corner and saw the back of the house a big bubble of excitement burbled up in my stomach. While this whole process has been exciting, I haven't felt that tickle in my tummy since the first walls were stood up on my birthday.



When the painter saw me, he came down off his ladder and said "What do you think?" If I hadn't of just met the man five seconds prior, I probably would have hugged him. "I LOVE IT!" I exclaimed. "IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!" I was so relieved that my choice of color was a good one and that it really is turning into the house of my dreams.

I can just imagine how it's going to look, with the trim all painted, the grass green and lush in summer, or the fields covered in snow in the winter. And my pretty red house standing there in the middle of it all, the embodiment of all my dreams, with everything and everybody I hold dear inside.

Somehow seeing my color go onto it really has made it suddenly very real.

This is my house. MY house. OUR house.

And it's so pretty. And perfect.

And now I'm crying.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

great color! glad you went with the red and not the blue!

Kristen said...

I LOVE it! That's my favorite color and it looks smashing on your house.

Rhi said...

It's lovely!

Mama Smurf said...

It's perfect! I'm so happy for you!

Chelle said...

HOORAY!!