Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Murphy's Law

I'm pretty sure there's some fine print written into Murphy's Law that says that in times of great stress and overwhelming pressure, when you already want to run naked down the street screaming like you're on fire just to get away from it all, there will be something else that pops up to absolutely push you over the edge. Where you sit in the corner, curled into the fetal position, muttering to yourself and batting at invisible bugs crawling on your skin while your maniacal eyes dart suspiciously around, and small streams of spittle drip down your chin.

That place? I'm there.

This morning I discovered that someone has been using our credit card. Alot.

A week or so ago, our credit card company called and left a message saying they were doing a routine security check. Nothing urgent or important sounding; "Call us at your convenience". We've been using our card alot during the process of building our house and figured they just thought it was suspicious since we hardly used it before. They called again this morning and left another message; again nothing urgent sounding. I happened to discover the charges because Josh went to Home Depot to get some supplies and his credit card was denied. So I looked up the card online to check the balance and, lo and behold, someone's been shopping on Cleartrip.com. After looking the site up, I see it's located in Mumbai. Lovely. So apparently terrorists are using my credit card! Ok, maybe not but don't you think it's suspicious?

So I called the credit card company and we went over the charges one by one and apparently someone booked almost $2000 of travel on Kenya Air just this morning. See? Terrorists! Fleeing the scene of the crime. On MY dime!!! AARRRRGGGHHH!!!

I'm not sure how much more I can take. It's almost Christmas for heaven's sake. I just want to move into my house, give my kids a wonderful Christmas, celebrate with family, settle into my new home and live my little life, quietly and undisturbed. Why does it all have to be so hard??

Why? Why?? WHYY???

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I have had this happen before. Is the credit card company taking care of things for you? Not a fun time to have this happen!!

o said...

When it rains it pours!!! I really hope the credit card company is taking care of all the bad charges for you. So stressful! Just think in no time you will be living on your land, in your red house and be able to to sit, relax and enjoy the view!

Anonymous said...

argh!!! that bites, so sorry! i've only had someone use a 'convenience check' of mine once but just the "pretending to be me" part of it burned me to a crisp. hope it gets settled asap!

Mr Lady said...

Oh. My. God.

I haven't had a credit card since I was 18, and this is exactly why. That's AWFUL! I hope they fix it for you and fast!

Brooke said...

OMGosh! will they take the charges off for you???! That sucks!

Mama Smurf said...

I really hope the charges were taken off!

Now wipe that spittle and come on over for a glass of wine. Wine makes it all better.

Chelle said...

That's terrible! I hope it gets worked out soon for ya.

Suzie said...

Boy your really going through it arent you. Maybe your getting all the bad stuff out of the way so youll have a steller 2009