Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Just Maybe...

I had a small, minor meltdown Sunday night. No waterworks or anything, but all the anxiety and stress about this house building kind of bubbled up and out. As I told Hubby, it's a wonderful problem to have: being stressed out and worn thin by building your dream home but I'm about at my rope's end. Bless his heart, Hubby has been putting in looooonng hours working at the house (after working all day), which I am truly appreciative of. But it in essence renders me a single parent (when I'm not out there working myself), which I am not cut out for I've discovered. Add to that the multitude of house details that have to be decided. Lucky for me, Hubby doesn't care too much about the details and has left it up to me. But, he's left it up to ME! At least I don't have to fight with him about which faucet I want for the kitchen. Man, I totally could have gotten the expensive, fancy one and he'd never have known!

The other day my task was to go to Home Depot and pick out laminate for the bathroom countertops. Upon arriving at the veritible wall of laminate choices, I wanted to cry. There were just so many! After scaring away the poor helpful employee who tried to help but then backed away slowly after getting close enough to hear me muttering unintelligibly to myself, I managed to pick two possibilities for each bathroom. Mind you, choosing each element means dragging the other elements along for coordination's sake (aka cabinet doors, tile, etc.). Not to mention my impatient, uninterested 3 year old who, for Pete's sake, has had enough of Home Depot.

And did you notice that it's almost Christmas? I will say that I'm about done with my shopping for the kids. Just need one more thing for Sam, I think, and a few more stocking stuffers, which very well might end up being snacks out of the pantry. My niece & nephews may end up with gift cards if I don't get the chance to shop again. I'm just bummed because this is the time of year that I'm usually subjecting myself to all kinds of baking, cooking, shopping, wrapping, decorating, letter-writing, Christmas card addressing, and gingerbread house decorating and none of that is happening this year. Which, even though it's stressful, it's FUN stress. I've calmly given myself permission to bypass all that this year, but next year? WATCH OUT.

While a few days ago I was disbelieving that this whole move would actually happen this year before Christmas, I'm starting to think it just might afterall. What made me change my tune? Well, for one, my father-in-law came up to help with the bathroom tile and yesterday, while Hubby was at work, he worked out at the house all day, by himself, cutting the edge pieces of tile for both bathrooms. Then Hubby went out and they got it all laid. Both bathrooms now have tile. All the grouting has to be done still but that should go quickly.

Secondly, I called yesterday to check on our carpet order. Because even though Hubby thought we could move in without carpet, it's just ain't happening. No worries though, because the installer will have the carpet by Friday and then it will be installed next Tuesday. Yippee!! That'll make a HUGE difference.

Also, the plumber will be coming to set all the toilets and fixtures next Monday, I believe. Indoor plumbing will be a nice feature and make living there more comfortable.

I went yesterday and put a deposit on my granite countertops and got those ordered. The slab could be delivered to the shop as early as tomorrow and then those will get underway. There's a possibility that they might not be installed by the time we move in, but I think it'd only be a matter of days until they were, so I'm not concerned about that. I can use my laundry sink in the meantime. (Which reminds me, I need to buy cabinets for the laundry room.)

It's all starting to come together, in a big flurry, to say the least. It still doesn't seem real that I'm going to be living there very soon. I'm not sure it will until I wake up in my new bedroom, plod out to my new kitchen for coffee, and put our things away in our new home. (OMG, that totally just made me tear up.)

T minus 11 folks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that t-11 is the kicker ... you WILL make it! I so know the pain of sooooo many choices, and it makes me have a headache all over again. it's really hard to make just one more decision! but it sounds like you're within reach, and once you're in and settled ... that's going to feel so very amazing and make it all worth it. hang in there!

Mama Smurf said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

King of New York Hacks said...

Organized chaos in action...sounds like a plan that will work for sure.

Jen C. said...

I'm gritting my teeth for you!