Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Want to Ride My Bicycle

The other day my hubby said to me "We need to take Sam to the park and teach him how to ride his bike without training wheels." So last night we loaded up his bike and helmet and headed to a local park. Our plan was to work with him on a gently sloped grassy lawn so that he would have some momentum and yet, if he toppled over, he'd have a soft landing.

When we told him what our plans were, he didn't want to take his training wheels off. He fussed and complained that he didn't want to, that he couldn't ride without them. But by the time we got to the park, he'd forgotten his complaints and seemed almost excited at the prospect.

We unloaded his bike and got his helmet strapped on. He got on the bike, with Daddy instructing him how to push on the pedals. They started to go slowly, but then after only about two steps, this happened:






Sam took off on his bike and never looked back. Hubby and I stood there, slack-jawed, watching him go. We kept looking at each other increduously, and then back at Sam, like "Are we really seeing what we're seeing?!" Hubby said that after about two steps Sam said "Let go Daddy!" and off he went!

And in case you think he was simply coasting down the hill, I give you this evidence of his cycling prowess:

He quickly progressed to the basketball court where he rode and rode in circles, and discovered the beauty of slamming on the brakes and doing a little power skid (which he handled like a pro). I fear Hubby may be right - we'll be seeing him standing on his handlebars in about a week.

I was so damn proud my face hurt from smiling. I was telling everyone in the park how it was his FIRST! TIME! without training wheels, daring them to besmirch my baby's amazing accomplishment. I mean, because really, how many kids just get on a bicycle and take off? I may be a noob at parenting, but that seems pretty extraordinary to me. And if it's not? Well, it STILL is to me.

So naturally, the night ended with this:

5 comments:

Childsplayx2 said...

That is so cool. He just looks so proud of himself too!

Love that you have it documented for posterity.

Suzie said...

That is just so cool. Wow! That really is amazing

Mama Smurf said...

That IS extraordinary! My daughter's training wheels were taken off a couple months ago to give it a try and within 2 weeks she made us put them back on. She's just not getting it. My beautiful sweet little girl has many wonderful gifts....but coordination is NOT one of them!

Yeay for Sam!!

Brooke said...

Is that Baskin Robbins in the background??? MMMMm been forever since Ive been there.

Chelle said...

If I ride Sam's bike, can I get an ice cream cone??

Way to go, Samm-o!!