I'm a little stressed out today, and I've only been up for an hour. Never a good sign.
First thing stressing me out, and actually it's more annoying than stressful, is that I forgot to get my annual TB test for work. I work in a hospital and am required to have an annual TB skin test. If you don't get it by the date you're supposed to, you can't continue to work. Well, a couple weeks ago, I had the test done. And then forgot to have it read. I was supposed to have it done by July 31 (Happy August 1st today!) and apparently my manager called yesterday and left a not-very-happy-sounding reminder on my voicemail. So today I have to schlep into town, dragging the kids with me, and go get ANOTHER test. Not a huge deal I suppose, but I'm just annoyed with myself. I'd totally planned to get it done earlier this week and then with Zoƫ being sick, and our building loan FINALLY closing, I've been a little distracted. I'm hoping that if I have the test today, that they'll let me have it read on Monday and then report for work, since I'm supposed to be there. Not that I mind so much if I get an extra day off. But it probably won't endear me to anyone if I can't work because of my own carelessness.
Second thing stressing me out, is that we are soon to be homeless. A couple weeks ago the property management place called to say that the owners wanted us to sign another 1-year lease starting September 1st. Uh...we're in the middle of building a house, and it's not going to take us a year. Anyway, we've talked to the owners and they are concerned that they won't be able to rent the house if we vacate in the winter (which is what the property mgmt people are telling them, probably blowing it WAY out of proportion, although there is some truth to it). We probably would sign the lease and then just break it when our house was done, but we're not sure exactly what the laws are. If we break our lease, what's the penalty? Do we just lose our deposit or are we on the hook for the rent until the end of the lease??
This stresses me out for multiple reasons: I don't want to have to move twice in a matter of months, no one wants to rent us a place for 4 months (or less), and I was hoping to let Sam start school at his same school for the first part of the year since he'll already have to switch when we move to our house. So I'm not really sure what we're going to do. The owner is being all "We'll let you stay until September and then hopefully it won't be too much of a hardship on you". Well, YES! It'll be a HUGE hardship actually! Where are we supposed to go for a matter of months? I don't want Sam to have to change schools TWICE next year, for Pete's sake! And since school starts in about 4 weeks, I'd like to have this ironed out and be somewhat settled by the time he starts. I'm just kinda pissed about the whole situation. Why can't anything ever be just EASY? Or if not EASY, then maybe just not excruciatingly and painfully difficult?
So my day will be filled with needles and trying to find a place to live. Fun, huh?
4 comments:
Oh God girl! Sending you some (((hugs)))). What about a short term housing...like a residence in or something in the area of your son's new school? My cousin and her family had to move into one due to a house fire for almost an entire year. It'll be tight quarters but at least then you won't have to change schools.
So sorry! Can't you say, 'fine, put it up for rent, and we'll move when you find renters'. I can't imagine it getting snatched up that fast, no?
We had to live in a camper on our property for several months when I was a kid while our home was "installed" (mobile home, that is).
Ugh! I'd offer up our basement but the commute would be a killer. Hugs to you.
Hi Kate, I'm not sure where Sam's new school is in comparison to where you live now, but I would try to "pink slip" him into the school by your new house so there is no change at all for him no matter where you are living when school starts. I've gone the "pink slip" route and the schools were really understanding. As far as how much it'll cost to break your lease, WA State law says you're on the hook for rent until it's filled but you shouldn't automatically lose your full deposit (depends on what your lease says) and I've also broken a lease before and it wasn't bad at all, I just advertised the heck out of the place to get lots of applicants.
Erin (Heather's friend)
Post a Comment