Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Solid Foundation

June 12th:


This is looking west. The foundation footing is all framed in and ready for concrete.

This is looking east and shows exactly how much dirt was moved. There are huge piles on all sides of the house, which will be used to backfill around the foundation. Any remaining dirt will be spread out to level off what will be our yard.



June 14th:

Again looking west. The footing was in and we've pulled off all the forms. See that pile of lumber in front of the van? That's what we pulled off.


This is looking south. The reason there is so much standing water and mud is because the soil has so much clay in it when you get down a couple feet. The top two feet are great but under that, not so great.


June 19th:


The foundation walls have been framed in. All these forms will have to be taken off and scraped to remove any concrete that has stuck to them. They are reusable and we rented them for the project. The blocks in the middle of the house are for the floor supports.




Look! Our mountain was out! Did I mention that it's a volcano?


June 22nd:

Ta - da! Here's our foundation after our efforts this weekend.

Notice how clean and debris-free the interior is!

See all the chunks of concrete in the bottom of the picture? We broke those all up and chucked 'em in there. For hours.

And that's where we're at! Today I'm heading out to go paint some waterproof sealant on the bottom half of the foundation walls. I think the lumber was delivered yesterday and I believe they'll be starting the framing today. Exciting stuff!

5 comments:

Mama Smurf said...

Holy hell girl...you've been busy! I'm think'n I'll stick to my running work outs...busting up and chucking concrete doesn't sound like a workout I care to participate in...my back can only take so much ;-)

Scarlett said...

Wow, Kate!!! You must be so excited. Finally! Your views are amazing. I can't wait to see the finished house.

Rhi said...

Wow! It's cool to see the progress!

Suzie said...

Wow you are so darn handy. Good for you this is a real labor of love. You rock

Jenni said...

VERY exciting! I love your mountain, even if it is a volcano!

We hope to build our own dream home in the next year or so...

Thank you for the sweet comment over at "my place"!

~Jenni