Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Day at Home

Today I decided to just stay home with the kids. There were no swimming lessons to go to, the weather isn't that great, and every time we go somewhere it ends up costing an arm and a leg. Not just the gas used, but usually our trips involve some kind of shopping and/or snack. So today we're being homebodies.

After a pancake breakfast and tidying up, we decided to go for a walk. Momma needs a little exercise. I broke out the double jogger stroller and dusted it off. Of course, as I was doing so it started to sprinkle rain, but I was determined to go anyway. In this country if you let a little rain stop you from doing anything, you won't get anything done! And it's not like I'm gonna shrink if I get wet. Damn it. Fortunately it stopped after a few minutes and off we rolled. I'm a really bad judge of distance, but I'd say we probably went a couple miles. And up and down several steep hills. Hills that don't seem a big deal when I cruising along in my car, yet seem to stretch on forever and cause searing pain when I'm struggling up them and pushing 80 lbs of stroller & kids. I just kepting panting to myself "This is good for your butt, this is good for your butt..."

In the middle of our walk, we stopped at one of the many parks around here and the kids played and swang for awhile. I actually stole the swing from Sam once and took a turn. And the school-girl giggle that bubbled up and out of me surprised us all. But I couldn't help it! My tummy got that giggly, squirrelly feeling and there was no containing it. Of course, that pleasant little tickle quickly turned to near nauseaousness so I kindly gave the swing back to Sam. But it made me remember how much I used to LOVE swinging as a kid.

Back home we've had some lunch and now I should tackle the chores that are waiting for me: three baskets of laundry that need folding, several more loads to wash, the kids' bathroom is slightly scary, my floors needs a good scrub, and the carpets need to be vaccumed. Josh's dad, Grandpa John, is coming for a visit this weekend and I don't want to have to do cleaning while he's here. We'll probably be working out at the house anyway. Or drinking. Or both.

See? My Crack Vitamins are doing their job - I'm motivated and energetic without a ray of sunshine in sight. I even have dinner already planned: chipotle chicken taquitos with guacamole and salsa (all homemade), mexican rice, refried beans, and a veggie platter. The Dos Equis are cold and waiting for me too! Is it 5pm yet??

Hope you have a productive day too!

3 comments:

Mama Smurf said...

ummmm....mind if I stop by for dinner? =)

I learned last year that my favorite time to run is in the rain...it's liberating...

Suzie said...

Too funny I kept reading swigging for swinging. I thought wow she's drinking in the park. I now see my mistake. It was pretty funny from this end though.

Liz Harrell said...

Hmmm... crack vitimins? I need some of those. :)