I certainly am not turning this into a blog solely about running, but for now it's what I'm working on, so for now it's what I'm writing about.
I headed back to the gym on Tuesday and hit the treadmill, still riding the high from Saturday's run. I quickly snapped out of it and realized it was a WAY different day and I was not feeling great. I almost immediately developed a stitch in my side that I couldn't get rid of, I was swaying all over the place, banging into the sides and front of the treadmill, and breathing kinda hard early on. I tried my hardest to just run through it all, but it became evident with every passing minute that I wasn't going to be able to run like I did on Saturday. I seem to remember wanting desperately to stop after only 10 minutes but I kept mentally yelling at myself and pushed on until I'd been going for 19 minutes. I really wanted to hit that 20 minute mark but I simply couldn't go another minute and slowed to walking at 19. I was hugely disappointed and started to think maybe Saturday was a fluke.
Today I again hit the treadmill and really just went with the mentality of doing what I could, trying to forget Tuesday's poor performance. Last night when I was vacuuming, I rammed my 3rd toe on my left foot with the vacuum and kinda bent back the nail, making it bleed. So I wasn't sure how running on it would feel. And on the way to the gym I discovered a hole in my sock on my right foot, right under a toe. And I'm pretty sure I need new shoes. So my feet were not happy to start with. (I have very fussy feet and have since I was a little girl. They're very sensitive. Or something.)
I did my usual 10 minute brisk walk and then upped the speed to 4.8mph and started to jog. My first goal was to do a mile...about 12.5 minutes at that pace. On Tuesday I had started out at 5mph and I wondered if just that little bit of extra pace did me in. So I figured I'd start off nice and easy today. My legs felt great, no burning or pain, expect just a little discomfort in my right foot, probably from my shoes. The 12.5 minutes flew by and I kept going. I finally stopped at 30 minutes because my mouth felt like the Sahara desert and I needed a drink. So I took a 3 minute walk break, slurped down some water, then upped the speed to 5mph and went another 12 minutes. The last couple minutes were challenging - I was breathing harder and had a side stitch - but I powered on, feeling again a great sense of accomplishment. When I slowed to a brisk walk, I felt like I was floating and the side pain went away. It was great.
I think on Tuesday I should've started at the slower speed. I really am not concerned with my speed right now. I just want to be able to run continuously for a good period of time. The speed will come. For now, I'm working on my endurance. So, lesson learned: run slower for now. Also, I ate a banana on my way to the gym on Tuesday and I think it contributed to the side pain. Today I drank a glass of Odwalla Superfood (aka "pond scum") and didn't have the side pain until the very end. So, lesson #2: don't eat much before trying to run.
Becoming a runner is a learning process, as well as a physical process. But progress is being made on both fronts. And I can't tell you how cool it is.
2 comments:
First, what's wrong with only writing about running? LOL Second, my heart is bursting with pride for you! You're doing great and remember, all of them can't be good runs. Sometimes it's just miles in the bank until the next fun easy one.
Way to go! I love reading about people's fitness journeys. You are on your way!
Post a Comment