Over the last few months, I've read articles here and there about running, training to run, technique, etc. all in an effort to figure out how to go about becoming a runner. As multiple places have suggested, one should start off doing intervals - run for a bit, then walk for a bit - gradually increasing the amount you run and decreasing the amount you walk. So I've been doing that. But I'm impatient and competitive and I probably haven't done enough of it.
Another thing I've read is that you should do two short to average runs during the week and then a longer one on the weekend. I haven't done that as much because I haven't really gotten to the point of actually running much yet.
Or so I thought.
Yesterday, I headed into town to the Y, planning on doing more intervals on the treadmill. I picked my treadmill in front of a big window, looking down on the street where I could watch the traffic and people strolling around town on a Saturday morning. To my left was a gal that was full-on running, around 8.0 mph. Wow. She looked so smooth and just kept running and running...
I started off walking, working up to my quick walking pace (between 4.0 - 4.3 mph). I figured I'd do a 10 minute warm up and then do a 12 minute mile. I started out jogging and felt pretty good. As I was nearing the 12 minute mark, I thought "I'll try to go about 18-20 minutes". So I forged on.
About that time a girl got on a treadmill to my right and started walking. After a few minutes she started doing some intervals, jogging for a bit, then walking. I was silently cheering her on, recognizing what she was doing.
Before I knew it my 20 minute goal had come and gone and I was feeling no pain. My legs felt strong and solid and I was in a good rhythm. I had previously been jogging at 4.8mph but wondered how I'd do if I upped it a bit. So I increased it to 5.0. And it didn't really make much difference. My main challenge all along was my breathing. I have a tendency to concentrate on my breathing too much instead of just letting my body breathe when it needs to. So instead I focus on my music, singing in my head, and try to just forget about regulating my breathing.
All along I kept expecting to "hit the wall" any minute. I couldn't believe I was cruising along, actually RUNNING (albeit slowly) for longer than a few minutes. I dare say I felt a bit of that "runner's high" you hear people refer to, and MAN it felt good.
I started philosophizing and realized that I was in a bit of a metaphorical situation. On my left was the fast runner-girl, obviously with all kinds of endurance and strength, and on my right was the girl trying to train her body to run, pushing herself a bit at a time. And I was in between them, literally and figuratively. Not too long ago I was that girl just starting to train her body to run. And I dream of being the runner that can just go and go.
I ran for 40 minutes straight, managing to go a bit under 3.5 miles without stopping. I'm not going to win any races at that pace, but I'm not worried about speed right now. I'm just going to cling to the knowledge that I AM capable of it and use it to build on.
Yesterday showed me that, for now, I'm solidly in between those two girls. When I realized that I was crossing over into actual "I'm a runner" territory, I felt myself fill with a huge feeling of accomplishment and pride. I suddenly was running with my head held higher and a bit of a grin on my face. I'll admit, I even had to stem the sudden sting of tears that threatened. I was just so damn proud of myself and surprised that somehow I had managed to teach this old body to RUN.
At this rate, I'm starting to believe I may actually get to cross off one of the goals I set for myself in 2010.
2 comments:
Kate,
Today I am inspired by your achievement and joy.
Thanks and congratulations again!
Paula
Good job. I have many friends who run, and I do it for exersize (not enjoyment). But can not imagine really being a runner. It is hard!! So I applaud you for wanting to do it and doing it!
Post a Comment