It is 1:00pm on a Wednesday and I am *still* in my pajamas. My house is a disaster, my children are *still* in their pajamas, there is laundry to do, I have a stack of books to read, we've not actually eaten a meal today - just snacked- and my legs need shaving.
This is what homeschooling has done to me.
But truth be told, I think we're doing okay. We're starting to see a bit of a routine emerge, we're figuring out what works and what doesn't, what we like and what we don't. We love being able to go outside when the sun in shining and play a quick game of tetherball, or eating our lunch on the deck, or watching a tv program that relates to what we're studying. I'm finding that everything throughout the day is a learning opportunity. Going to the grocery store, picking out plants for our garden, planting seeds are all teachable moments. I find that I'm very aware that I'm the teacher now and that I can use any situation or experience to impart some kind of knowledge.
We've relocated my computer and desk upstairs to the bonus room so that we have more space. Some of what we do requires the computer and my little office space just wasn't big enough to include a work area for Sam. Now we have lots of room, with bright daylight and we can leave our mess spread out over various tables. (This is SO much better than cluttering up my dining room table and island.)
It's a new way of life - a new never-child-free way of life - but we're adjusting to it. It's not just me and my previous routine that have had to adjust; Sam is getting used to me being the teacher AND the momma. We butt heads occasionally but I have the advantage of inflicting more meaningful punishment than his teacher at school (i.e. taking away video game or TV privileges), but I also love him unconditionally and I hope that that shines through.
No comments:
Post a Comment