I'm happy to report that I've been pretty consistent with my workouts the last few weeks. With the weather being nasty and cold, I go to the gym on the mornings that Zoe has preschool (which is Tues/Thurs). Then I try to sneak a workout in on the weekend. With the addition of modifying my eating and really keeping track of what I put in my mouth, I am feeling GOOD. The scale has remained steady at a number that makes me happy and yet I don't feel like I'm heading into "scary thin" territory. With the workouts I've been doing, I've been consciously making an effort to eat enough protein, cut my carb intake down a little, increase the fiber and calcium and keep taking my vitamins. I've recently added fish oil to my vitamin repertoire after doing a bunch of reading on the benefits of it. And considering we aren't big seafood eaters, and the fact that I don't care for salmon, I need to get my Omega 3s somehow. I've even started giving it to the kids in liquid form. But that's another post.
The last week or so the weather has been surprisingly spring-like. While California is getting hammered with storms and tornado warnings, those of us in the Seattle area have had lovely days with temperatures in the 50's. I'm not sure it's going to last much longer, but I've sure been enjoying it. I even caught myself starting to think about my flowerbeds and garden and thinking "I need to get started figuring those out!" and then I caught myself and remembered it's still January. Duh.
Craving a little fresh air and wanting to test myself a bit, I headed out for a walk/run on Thursday. I've been doing some intervals on the treadmill at the gym but wanted to see how actually pounding the pavement felt. So I headed out, warmed up by walking the first 3/4 mile then actually managed to run the next mile! Without stopping! And there weren't even any rabid dogs chasing me!! Go me! (And by "run" I mean that geriatric amputees could have passed me.) Even more impressive was that I managed to make it up a decent hill I encountered without having to stop to hork up a lung. After that, there were two baby hills that I showed who was boss then it was flat to the mile marker. I walked the mile back, then ran the 3/4 mile home. And then I collapsed and died and my 4 year old did CPR and revived me.
Then on Saturday my friend Paula came out to run with me. She has been a great encouragement and motivator in my desire and attempt to become a runner. I took her on the same route that I went on Thursday but we went even further. I was able to run that same mile, up the hills and everything, even though Paula did kind of smoke me on the uphills. It's okay. I know I'm just starting out and it's not a race. Yet. :) She gave me all kinds of pointers and tips, although I'm not sure I really was able to put any of them into practice mid-run, what with not being able to feel my legs and all. We completed about 5 miles, running probably at least half of that. I came home tired (and ravenous), but feeling proud of my effort. I have to confess, it was my first time running with someone. EVER. I probably didn't give Paula much of a workout, but her company was certainly appreciated and enjoyed. I hope she'll run with me again.
It feels good to be challenging myself this way. I like focusing on my health and my fitness. I've always loved physical challenges and pushing myself to see what I'm capable of. I grew up being very active, played sports all through high school and played softball and soccer in my early to mid-20's. Now that my kids are a bit older & independent, I'm hungry for those challenges again and the sheer fun of it. And I'm trying to set a good example for them by living healthily and taking care of myself. They and their daddy are, afterall, my main reason for living.
1 comment:
OH Kate, that run was a success! Remember that...you found a higher limit and pushed through some of it! So proud of you! See you tomorrow!
Post a Comment