Friday, September 4, 2009

The Tooth Fairy Comes Tonight

Sam just turned 7 years old a week or so ago and he still hasn't lost a tooth. Of course, he was late getting them, not having a tooth break thru until he was 10 months old. So I figured he'd be late to lose them as well.

The last couple days he's been complaining that one of his front top teeth was hurting. It wasn't wiggly and when I looked at it, it was brown underneath and on the back side of it. I thought maybe it was a cavity and made myself a mental note to call the dentist to make an appointment.

Well, this morning at 9:30am the phone rings and it's Sam, calling from school. "My tooth hurts," he said and when I asked him what I could do to help him, he said "Come get me." I knew that if he was calling me it must have been hurting pretty bad. So I quickly got dressed and called the dentist before leaving home, explaining the situation and asking if there was any way Dr. Mary could see him. They said to bring him in and they would squeeze him in. So I picked him up and we headed in.

Upon arrival they did an x-ray and checked it out. The dental tech said it didn't look like a cavity and after the Dr. saw it, she said they wanted to pull it. Which is what I was afraid of. But apparently Sam wasn't afraid of it because he came bounding out saying "Mom! They're gonna pull my tooth!"

Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me go back with him because it was technically their surgery day and parents aren't allowed back. But I could see him through the reception window and from the looks of it, they were having a party! The Dr. and tech were cracking up and they were all laughing and gesturing wildly, having a great time. And the next thing you know, they sit Sam up and show him his tooth that had been detached from his face. Dr. Mary said it was most likely some kind of trauma that caused it, which I am perplexed by. Except for the time Sam was about 3.5 and hit his mouth on my parents' coffee table and knocked a front tooth loose (which completely resolved and was fine). But could this really have been the cause of today's pain? Who knows.

All I know is that the Tooth Fairy is finally coming to our house tonight. And my boy now looks like this:

No comments: