
We live in an area of the Pacific NW where the salmon run up our rivers, back to their spawning grounds. The pink salmon, or "humpies", run every other year and in recent years the run hasn't been very good for various reasons. We've been anxiously awaiting this season and have had our fingers crossed that we'd actually catch some fish this year.
Opening Day was August 16th. My dad, Hubby, Sam and I headed out early that morning, down to the river. It was Sam's first real fishing expedition and I worried how he would cope with being cooped up on a 16' boat all day, especially if the fishing was slow.

Turns out we didn't need to worry. The fishing was decent and in between the catching, Sam munched away on potato chips and played Yahtzee on my phone. Only once did he fuss and ask to go home and that was when a bee was buzzing around his head. (He's been afraid of bees ever since he got stung on the end of the nose.)
Sam, reeling in a fish.
Sam's first salmon
I caught the biggest one that day, and boy was it fun! I could tell I had a bigger fish on by the way he fought. They're fiesty little critters! But I guess if I had a hook through my lip, I'd fight to get away too!
Me & my Dad
We managed to land 12 fish that day and went home happy and tired and satisfied with a good day's fishing. 
1 comment:
We were NOT so lucky crabbing this weekend. We had zero keepers!
Post a Comment