Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Falling

Fall is upon us.  Which means the cold has arrived.  Which means Kate is already freezing. 

I keep hearing that this is the year of El Nino and that we're in for a milder, drier, warmer winter.  But so far I'm not feeling it.  There was a biting cold Nor'easter wind blowing down out of Canada today that was swirling and howling around my house.  We've had a fire going in our Fireplace Xtrordinair almost daily for the last week or so and it has kept the house nice & toasty.  That thing puts out some serious heat when you get it going.  It's lovely.  (My husband would tell you it makes the house too hot, but he's crazy.  80° is a perfectly comfortable temperature for the house.)

Along with the weather change comes all the germy cold and flu bugs.  To date, I have a cold which started out with a sore throat and now both the kids are complaining of tummyaches and headaches, although that's as far as it's gone - complaining.  Both of the kids have had the regular flu vaccination; Sam got the flu mist up the nose and Zoe got an actual shot.  She'll have to have a 2nd one, though, as this is the first time she's gotten the flu shot.  I *think* I'll be getting them the H1N1 vaccination when it becomes available.  With all the information and hype that's out there, it's hard to know what to do.  I had a really good discussion with our pediatrician at Zoe's 4 year checkup and I feel better about them having it, but I still can't say I'm 100% sure.  Like any parent, I want to protect my kids but what if the so-called "protection" ends up causing more problems than what you're trying to protect against?? 

Anyway, as much as I cringe at the falling temps and the inevitable illnesses, I love the fall.  We live in such a beautiful area and the trees are turning the most gorgeous shades of red, orange and gold. There's a hint of woodsmoke in the air and the outside is taking on a musty, earthy smell.  The skies are filled with the sounds and shapes of birds heading south to warmer climes.  As everything starts to wind down for a long winter's nap, I start thinking of projects to work on, things to keep me busy while I'm waiting indoors for the return of summer.  And, of course, there's the holidays.

I'm so excited to be in our new house this holiday season.  We missed out on celebrating Christmas in The Red House last year because of the snow, but this year, even if it does snow, we'll be there, all tucked safe & warm inside.  And we've invited both our families to join us for a big Thanksgiving Feast at our house.  It's going to be a holiday to remember, for sure.  I can't wait.

What is your favorite thing about fall?

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I hate this cold weather....but I am sure you already knew that! And I think 80 degrees is a perfectly normal temperature to have in the house. But I love halloween, my birthday, my anniversary, and the pretty fall colors....Bring on the vitamin D

Mama Smurf said...

Oh my...it's been so long since I've visited my google reader! I LOVE your new layout!

Yeah, I've heard the same "warmer than normal winter" predictions also. I don't believe it. At all.

I can't stand the cold but I'm always exhited for the holiday season to come. Excited to spend some fall/winter vacations in our new home too! =)